University Lecture Series

Find Us

Flawn Academic Center (FAC)
Room 338
2304 Whitis Avenue
Austin, Texas – 78712

Home » uls » Emerging Global Economic Growth

Emerging Global Economic Growth

Watch the video”:rtsp:// of the lecture using Real Player. If you do not currently have Real Player, you may download it on to your computer.

The School of Undergraduate Studies presents two large lectures: Dean Thomas Gilligan’s Emerging Global Economic Growth and Dean Paul Woodruff’s How to Spot a Tyrant When You See One. Students are also encouraged to attend linked events: plays and intimate lectures that offer alternative or in-depth perspectives on the same topics as the large events.

Emerging Global Economic Growth
Dean Thomas Gilligan, Red McCombs School of Business
September 21 at 7 p.m.
Bass Concert Hall

Throughout history, poverty and economic stagnation have defined the human condition. Even today, more than a billion people live on incomes of less than $2 per day. Yet a large and ever increasing number of humans enjoy the material, social, political and moral improvements that accompany rising living standards. In this lecture I will discuss the factors that contribute to economic growth and reveal your role in the miraculous process.
Download the recommended reading.

Linked Events

Alternative Solutions to the Financial and Economic Crisis
Professor Michael Brandl, Department of Finance
September 28 at 7 p.m. in ACES 2.302

We find ourselves at a unique point in history. The economic and financial market changes we put into place today will have dramatic impacts for the next several decades. We must choose our path carefully. What are the options before us? What choices must be made? These are the issues Professor Brandl will cover in his presentation and discussion.

Invisible Global Market: Marketing to the Other 86%
Professor Vijay Mahajan, Department of Marketing Administration
October 1 at 7 p.m. in ACES 2.302

Most Global businesses focus on marketing to the wealthiest 14% of the World’s population: the developed world. But the market in the developed world is over-saturated, over-competitive, and aging. This presentation will focus on how to unleash growth and profitability by serving the other 86%.