Students need to maintain a 2.00 GPA to be in good standing. You can determine your GPA using the registrar’s GPA calculator.
Any classes completed for a letter grade at UT Austin are included in your GPA, including University Extension courses. Grades earned in coursework completed at other institutions are not included.
College & University Honors
The University of Texas at Austin does not have a Dean’s List. Instead, students who have achieved academic excellence may be recognized by inclusion on the University Honors List and/or by administrative officials, academic deans, and members of the faculty at the Honors Day Convocation each spring. Learn more about earning college & university honors.
If your cumulative UT GPA falls below a 2.00, you will be placed on scholastic probation for the following semester. Students on scholastic probation must:
- Enroll in at least 12 credit hours or request special permission from an advisor to enroll as a part-time student
- Complete an Academic Success Plan
- Meet with their assigned UGS advisors every two weeks
- Raise their grades to the university benchmark to avoid dismissal
As per the General Information Catalog, scholastic dismissal occurs under any of the following conditions:
- A student fails 12 or more hours in their first long-session semester
- A student on scholastic probation fails to achieve the required overall GPA determined by the university’s benchmarks
- A student on scholastic probation withdraws from the university after the 20th class day
First Dismissal—Student is dismissed from the university for one long semester and any intervening summer session.
Second Dismissal—Student is dismissed from the university for three calendar years. Readmission must be approved by the Office of Admissions and the student dean.
Third Dismissal—Student will not be readmitted to the university.