February 23 & 24, 2018 at UT Austin
The Transfer Student Leadership Summit aims to bring together transfer student leaders from four-year colleges and universities across Texas to share their transfer experiences, identify common themes, present on transfer support initiatives, and build peer networks. Though students will lead the sessions on campus support programs, staff and faculty members are invited to co-present and network at the summit.
Few opportunities exist for Texas colleges and universities to come together and discuss transfer student success. Students have even fewer opportunities to attend or participate in such discussions. The Transfer-Year Experience (TYE) program within the School of Undergraduate Studies at The University of Texas at Austin is excited to host the summit and help strengthen transfer support among students, staff, and faculty across the state.
Thank you to everyone who attended the 2017 Transfer Student Leadership Summit! We are excited to host you again in 2018. For highlights, quotes, and pictures from the event, please click here.
Schedule at a Glance
Friday, February 23
- 2:30 p.m. Check-in Opens
- 3:00 p.m. Welcome and Opening Session
- 3:30 p.m. Transfer Experience Discussion
- 5:00 p.m. Break
- 5:15 p.m. Keynote Speaker
- 6:00 p.m. Networking Social
- 7:00 p.m. Dinner
- 8:30 p.m. Off-Campus Social (optional)
Saturday, February 24
- 9:00 a.m. Breakfast
- 9:30 a.m. Breakout Session #1
- 10:30 a.m. Breakout Session #2
- 11:30 a.m. Networking Lunch
- 12:30 p.m. Breakout Session #3
- 1:30 p.m. Breakout Session #4
- 2:30 p.m. Break
- 2:45 p.m. Future of Transfer Leadership
- 3:30 p.m. Closing
Who Should Attend?
This summit aims to attract students who are currently making a difference for transfer students at their campus or those who are interested in starting transfer support initiatives at their institution. Attendees should not only include transfer students, but student leaders who support transfer students. Staff and faculty members from participating institutions may co-present with students and network with colleagues throughout the summit.
Registration & Cost
Registration is free for both presenters and participants. Limit of five representatives (student, staff, faculty) from each college or university. Please complete the registration form by Friday, February 16.
Call for Proposals
DEADLINE EXTENDED: The session proposal form is live and will be available until Sunday, January 28, 2018.
We invite submissions for presentations for the 2nd Annual Transfer Student Leadership Summit on February 23-24, 2018. Students must submit proposals and lead conference sessions, though staff and faculty may be listed as co-presenters.
Sessions can cover a diverse range of issues tied to the transfer experience, such as:
- Orientation and new student services
- Transfer-tailored academic courses and support
- Peer mentorship
- Student organizations
- Student government and legislative councils
- Assessing transfer student needs
- Program evaluation and redesign
- 45 minute sessions with 30 minutes for presentation and 15 minutes for discussion and questions.
- Up to three presenters; faculty and staff may be involved, but a student must be the lead presenter.
Deadline Extended: Sunday, January 28, 2018
Submitting a Proposal
Please complete the online submission form once for each proposed session. For your reference, the following is a list of information required.
- Session Title (Limit 15 words): Titles should briefly identify the content and audience and should be able to stand alone and give a clear idea of what will participants will gain from the session.
- Brief Session Abstract (50-75 words) Please enter your session description, which will appear in the conference program if your proposal is accepted. The session abstract should clearly and concisely identify what will be presented, the intended audience, and what participants will learn from the session.
- Detailed Session Overview (Limit 300 words): Please provide further details about your session for the reviewers and conference planners.
- Session Learning Objectives: Please list at least two learning objectives describing what learners will know and be able to do as a result of your session.
- Presenter information (Limit 3)
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Phone Number
We plan to have all proposal submission decisions made and presenters notified by Friday, February 2, 2018.
Contact Brandy Carr via email or phone at 806-651-5374.
Out of town attendees are responsible for their own travel, overnight accommodations, and on-campus parking. The summit has a block of 20 rooms reserved at the Crowne Plaza Austin Hotel, located three miles north of the UT campus, at $120 per night (plus applicable taxes and fees), breakfast included. To book a room, call the Crowne Plaza at 512-323-5466 and request a room for Transfer Summit 2018 with the UT First-Year Experience Office. You can reserve a room online, but make sure to select the correct dates as the provided link does not automatically fill in for the weekend of February 23-25.