The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is a national competitive fellowship sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance. The Mitchell Scholarship, named to honor the former U.S. Senator’s pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to public service and community. Twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Applicants are judged on three criteria: academic excellence, leadership, and a sustained commitment to service and community. The Mitchell Scholarship provides tuition, housing, a living expenses stipend, and an international travel stipend.
Conditions of Eligibility
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Be 18 years of age or older, but not yet 30, on the date the application is due.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study under the Mitchell Scholarship.
- Completed online application.
- One photocopy of the applicant’s birth certificate, passport, or documented evidence of U.S. citizenship (a driver’s license is NOT a citizenship document).
- Five passport-sized photos of unmounted head and shoulders photograph of the applicant with the applicant’s signature on the back of each photo.
- Ten copies of the applicant’s college transcript. The ORIGINAL must be certified by the Registrar or other responsible university official. The remaining nine copies may be photocopies. If an applicant has attended more than one university, all transcripts must be submitted.
To apply for the Mitchell Scholarship, you must receive a university nomination. The deadline for submitting completed applications to the UT Austin Selection Committee is Friday, Aug.18, 2023, by 5 p.m. CT. The national deadline is the end of September or early October. Application materials must be submitted through the ODPS Application for Endorsement form, to request access please email email@example.com. Please send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.