Home » core » petitions » Flag Petitions

Flag Petitions

Submit a Flag Substitution Petition

Before submitting a petition, consult with your academic advisor. In order for your petition to be eligible for approval, you must

  • Be enrolled in the UT college or school from which you plan to graduate
  • Know the equivalent UT course number
  • Have taken the course you are petitioning at the college level (no advanced placement and other credit by exam courses)
  • Demonstrate that the course meets the flag criteria (see side bar)
  • Know the flag requirements in your degree plan for the catalog under which you plan to graduate

Flag Requirements by Catalog

  • 2012-14 Catalog
  • 2010-12 Catalog
  • 2008-10 Catalog: All colleges and schools require two writing flags or Substantial Writing Component courses (SWC)
  • Catalogs published before 2008-10: No flag requirements

Our flags page contains general information about identifying courses that carry flags. Your academic advisor can help you identify your specific flag requirements and which courses in your degree plan satisfy the requirements.

Courses You Can Petition

Dual credit, study abroad, transfer, and University Extension courses can be petitioned. In-residence courses taken for a letter grade can also be petitioned.

If you transfer to a different college or school after your petition is approved, the approved flag will not automatically follow you to your new college. You must contact the Flag Petitions Coordinator, provided that you still need the flag.