The following objectives were developed by the faculty committee that oversees the Cultural Diversity Flag.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the complexity of the perspectives of at least one underrepresented cultural group in the United States.
- Students will develop a historical understanding of at least one underrepresented cultural group in the United States.
- Students will examine the forces that led to and maintain the underrepresented cultural group’s experience of persistent marginalization, and will identify systemic barriers to equality and inclusiveness.
- Students will examine the impact of privilege and power differentials in the U.S.
- Students will identify appropriate roles and responsibilities as members of society and informed decision-makers to minimize marginalization in the U.S.
- Students will critically reflect on their respective cultural experiences and how those cultural experiences inform their worldview, and will recognize different perspectives and worldview from underrepresented cultural group(s) in the U.S.
- Students will recognize areas of implicit bias in their respective experiences.
- Students will practice methods of communicating mutual understanding and respect across cultural groups.
- Students will apply diverse cultural perspectives in evaluating complex problems.