To have a successful internship, please:
- Plan ahead so you can meet deadlines
- Keep in touch with your BDP advisor to discuss your plans
- Clarify your interests and objectives
- Use our evaluating internship hosts (PDF) document to help you assess potential internship hosts
- Learn how to approach your internship to create a meaningful and mutually beneficial experience by reading our effective internship practices (PDF) document
- Research your options with our internship resources, below
Address Ethical Questions
No matter what type of project you do for your Connecting Experience, make sure to consider the potential challenges and rewards of engaging with a new community. What does it mean to be a responsible social justice practitioner? See our handout on responsible community engagement (PDF) for more information.
Connecting Experiences give you the opportunity to customize your BDP certificate. BDP students have interned with a wide variety of businesses and non-profits, such as Intel, the Contemporary Austin, Kimberley Clark, the MD Anderson Cancer Center, and more. To learn about what other students have done in the past, read these Connecting Experience spotlights.
Resources for Finding an Internship
- Talk to your BDP advisor about our internal Internship Resources Database
- Visit the career services office in your college
- Attend internship fairs
- Visit company websites
- Network at on-campus events
- Use your own network of friends, family, professors, and professional organizations, and acquaintances
- BDP Opportunities Blog
- Volunteer Match
- BDP Connecting Experience spotlights
If you have any internship resources you would like to share with BDP students, please email the BDP Internship Coordinator, Joanna Tryon.