The following resources are designed to assist students from the LGBTQ community plan careers. You can also visit the diversity section of our career resource library in JES A115 for books to aid your career or internship search.
- The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) has internship information and job advertisements for students.
- The Human Rights Campaign offers information on domestic partner benefits, how to address discrimination, employee network groups, and much more. It also has internship information and job advertisements for students.
- Idealist.org has a list of LGBT related non-profit organizations with internships. There are over 500 LGBT organizations in the U.S. listed on this site, as well as information about LGBT-related programs worldwide.
- The National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals’ goals include dialogue with professional organizations, disseminating information, improving members’ employment and professional environment, opposing discrimination and stereotypes, and fostering inter-city contacts among members. NOGLSTP is a non-profit educational organization and is an affiliate of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Internship and Scholarship Opportunities
- The Fund for Lesbian and Gay Scholarships (FLAGS) provides financial assistance to gay, lesbian, and bisexual students involved in the community. The scholarship amount varies and depends on financial need.
- The Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund has internships available for the fall and spring semesters. Applicants in communication/media relations and development/internet are preferred, but all interested students are encouraged to apply.
- The Point Foundation is a national, publicly supported scholarship fund that provides financial support, mentoring, and hope to meritorious undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate students who are marginalized because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Zami offers the Audre Lorde Scholarship and several other $1,000 scholarships to gay and lesbian undergraduate and graduate students of African descent who are making significant contributions to their communities. Zami is Atlanta’s premiere organization for lesbians of African descent, and the award’s emphasis is on service to the lesbian community.
- The National Gay Pilot’s Association Education Fund was established to provide educational assistance in the form of scholarships to members of the gay and lesbian community who have expressed an interest in an aviation career as a professional pilot.
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) offers competitive internships for undergraduate and graduate students interested in gaining experience in working with a not-forprofit organization. Internships are available in all of GLAAD’s six national offices.
- ProGayJobs.com has job postings from companies committed to diversity in the workplace.
- Student Debt Relief offers a list of Scholarships and Grants for LGBTQ Students.