Clarify your interests and objectives for doing an internship.
- What do you hope to gain from the experience?
- What type(s) of work do you want to do?
- Where, geographically, do you want to work?
- What type of organization would you like to work for? Non-profit, high-tech, government, educational, environmental; small or large?
- What are your requirements regarding compensation? Are you looking for academic credit or monetary compensation?
- What major or career might you want to pursue?
Identify what you have to offer the employer.
Include writing, research, and analytical skills; academic preparation; previous work and volunteer experiences; hobbies; and extracurricular activities.
Think about your personality and values.
- Are you more comfortable working with other people or alone?
- Would you prefer to work with details and specific deadlines or with abstractions and ideas?
- What is going to make your internship a meaningful experience? Making connections with people in your field of interest, working on creative projects, developing leadership skills, or making money?