Students need to maintain a 2.00 GPA to be in good standing. You can determine your GPA using the registrar’s GPA calculator.
Any classes completed for a letter grade at UT Austin are included in your GPA, including University Extension courses. Grades earned in coursework completed at other institutions are not included.
College & University Honors
The University of Texas at Austin does not have a Dean’s List. Instead, students who have achieved academic excellence may be recognized by inclusion on the University Honors List and/or by administrative officials, academic deans, and members of the faculty at the Honors Day Convocation each spring. Learn more about earning college & university honors.
If your cumulative UT GPA falls below a 2.00, you will be placed on scholastic probation for the following semester. Students on scholastic probation must:
- Enroll in at least 12 credit hours or request special permission from an advisor to enroll as a part-time student
- Complete an Academic Success Plan
- Meet with their assigned UGS advisors every two weeks
- Raise their grades to the university benchmark to avoid dismissal
As per the General Information Catalog, scholastic dismissal occurs under any of the following conditions:
- A student fails 12 or more hours in their first long-session semester
- A student on scholastic probation fails to achieve the required overall GPA determined by the university’s benchmarks
- A student on scholastic probation withdraws from the university after the 20th class day
*First Dismissal*—Student is dismissed from the university for one long semester and any intervening summer session.
*Second Dismissal*—Student is dismissed from the university for three calendar years. Readmission must be approved by the Office of Admissions and the student dean.
*Third Dismissal*—Student will not be readmitted to the university.