The School of Undergraduate Studies welcomes you to our First-Year Experience team!
As a Signature Course Teaching Assistant, you play a vital role in one of the most innovative university-wide core curriculum programs in the country. You will gain valuable training and experience in interdisciplinary teaching, while helping to guide and mentor young people at the very beginning of their college careers.
While each Signature Course is unique in scope and content, all are designed around the core Signature Course objectives of helping first-year students explore their major and career options and preparing them to get the most out of their time at UT Austin. Thus, in every Signature Course discussion section, freshman will have the opportunity to hone their writing and speaking skills, and practice gathering, selecting, and utilizing information from outside the classroom.
Signature Course (SC) Teaching Assistants (TA) will:
- Be currently-enrolled graduate students at the University of Texas at Austin
- Attend a half-day initial training
- Participate in eight training meetings along with your cohort of fellow SC TAs
- Be observed by your Sanger Center cohort leader in discussion section and receive teaching
- Administer a mid-semester student feedback survey
- Draft a teaching statement based on your experiences as a SC TA
The School of Undergraduate Studies offers a number of resources to help you plan and execute successful discussion sections. We think you will find being a Signature Course TA enjoyable and rewarding and look forward to working together with you in helping first-year students transition from high school to college-level learning.