This weekend, explore the School of Undergraduate Studies at Explore UT, the biggest open house in Texas. The Office of Undergraduate Research, Undergraduate Studies Council, and advisors from the Vick Center from Strategic Advising & Career Counseling welcome visitors to three events:
The Fascinating World of Research
1-1:40 p.m. & 2-2:40 p.m.
Every undergraduate at UT has the opportunity to become a researcher and participate in the university’s vibrant research community. Find out what it’s like to be an undergraduate researcher at a tier one research university.
Picture Your Career
Join student leaders from the School of Undergraduate Studies Council for an interactive program designed to help you picture yourself in different careers. You’ll be able to learn more about the numerous academic pathways on campus. (Hands-on Activity / Interactive)
Choosing a Major
11-11:40 a.m. & noon-12:40 p.m.
Choosing a major requires exploration, reflection, and investigation. Join us for an interactive workshop on how to choose a major. This session is designed for high school juniors, seniors and first-year college students.
About Explore UT
Saturday, March 2, 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
University of Texas at Austin campus
The University of Texas at Austin’s Explore UT begins with thousands of school children from across the state visiting the Texas’s flagship campus. The day ends several hours later with many of those children coming together to form a giant map of Texas for the class photo.
In between, the expected 50,000 visitors can dig into more than 400 free activities in six realms of discovery on the university’s campus. There is no charge or registration to attend.
The event has helped recruit bright, talented prospective students to the university in past years. It also has inspired interest in higher education among the younger children who experience the intellectual energy, technological advances and rich natural and cultural resources of a world-class university.
Explore UT activities are organized into six realms of discovery:
- Arts Adventures — Embrace a culture of innovation found in the arts, architecture and communication.
- Cultural Crossroads — Harness the creativity and critical thinking found in business, information, education and the liberal arts.
- Engineering Expeditions — Chart a journey to solve global problems, expand knowledge and improve lives.
- Public Service Passageway — Learn how your world is enriched through the law, social work and public service.
- Science Safari — Experience new technologies in the sciences, and see the innovative fun in pharmacy, nursing, geosciences and more.
- Longhorn Trail — Discover our Longhorn community, and see firsthand the many ways The University of Texas at Austin is changing the world.
Activities give students an opportunity to make soap sculptures, see performances of “Alice in Wonderland” and Shakespeare, learn to extract and view DNA under a microscope, spot Venus in the daytime sky through a telescope, pedal a bicycle hard enough to power a radio and move robots by remote control.