Brad Popiolek, an advisor in the Center for Strategic Advising (CSA), was awarded a certificate of merit as an outstanding new advisor by the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA). Rose Mastrangelo, another CSA advisor, won the certificate last year.
Brad joined the CSA in August 2009 after graduating from Florida State University with an M.S. in Higher Education Administration. He currently coordinates the Wayfinder website. As a graduate student, Brad served as an Academic Advisor for undeclared students and Co-instructor for career development and First-year Experience courses. He earned a B.A. in Public Relations from the University of South Carolina.
To be awarded the certificate, advisors must have
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Availability to advisees, faculty, or staff
- Frequency of contact with advisees
- Appropriate referral activity
- Use and dissemination of appropriate information sources
- Evidence of student success rate, by advisor or department
- Caring, helpful attitude toward advisees, faculty and staff
- Meeting advisees in informal settings
- Participation in and support of intrusive advising to build * strong relationships with advisees
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to engage in, promote, and support developmental advising
- Evidence of administering an academic advising program that supportsNACADA’s Core Values
- Evidence that the advising program reflects the standards of good practice in the CAS Standards and Guidelines for Academic Advising
- Participation in and support of advisor development programs
- Perception by colleagues of nominee’s advising skills
- Institutional recognition of nominee for outstanding advising
NACADA promotes and supports quality academic advising in institutions of higher education to enhance the educational development of students. NACADA provides a forum for discussion, debate, and the exchange of ideas pertaining to academic advising through numerous activities and publications.